India’s Global Rank in E-Waste: Exploring the Numbers

Photo by Dustan Woodhouse on Unsplash

E-waste, or electronic waste, has become a pressing concern in today’s technology-driven world. As our reliance on electronic devices continues to grow, so does the amount of e-waste generated. India, with its rapidly expanding population and increasing access to technology, plays a significant role in this global issue.

So, what is India’s global rank in e-waste? Let’s delve into the numbers and explore the current scenario.

The Global E-Waste Landscape

Before we dive into India’s position, it’s essential to understand the global e-waste landscape. According to the Global E-waste Monitor 2020, a report published by the United Nations University (UNU), the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and the International Solid Waste Association (ISWA), the world generated a staggering 53.6 million metric tonnes (Mt) of e-waste in 2019.

This report also highlighted that only 17.4% of global e-waste was recycled in 2019. The remaining 82.6% either ended up in landfills or incinerated, causing severe environmental and health hazards.

India’s Rank in E-Waste Generation

According to the same report, India ranked third globally in terms of e-waste generation, producing approximately 3.2 million metric tonnes (Mt) in 2019. This accounted for 6% of the total global e-waste generated.

While India’s e-waste generation is significant, it is crucial to consider the per capita e-waste generation to gain a clearer perspective. In terms of per capita e-waste generation, India stood at 2.4 kilograms (kg) per person in 2019, which is relatively low compared to several other countries.

However, it is essential to note that India’s e-waste generation is projected to increase significantly in the coming years. With the rapid growth of the technology sector and the increasing affordability of electronic devices, the country is likely to face even greater challenges in managing its e-waste.

See also  India's Global Rank in Population

The Need for Effective E-Waste Management

The growing e-waste crisis calls for urgent action and effective e-waste management strategies. It is crucial for governments, industries, and individuals to collaborate and implement sustainable practices to reduce, recycle, and dispose of e-waste responsibly.

Proper e-waste management not only helps protect the environment but also promotes resource recovery and creates economic opportunities. It involves various processes like collection, segregation, recycling, and safe disposal of electronic waste.

Conclusion

India’s global rank in e-waste highlights the need for immediate attention and action. As the country continues to embrace technology, it must also prioritize sustainable practices to manage the increasing e-waste generation.

By raising awareness, promoting recycling initiatives, and implementing robust e-waste management policies, India can contribute to a cleaner and safer environment for future generations.

Share:
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Abu Sayed

Abu Sayed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Table of Contents

On Key

Related Posts

Top Finance Schools in the World 2023: Ranking and Insights

Looking for the best finance schools in the world for 2023? Explore the top finance schools, including Harvard Business School, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, London School of Economics and Political Science, Stanford Graduate School of Business, and MIT Sloan School of Management. Find out why these schools

Top 10 Largest Prisons in the World: Capacity and Population

Explore the top 10 largest prisons in the world in terms of capacity and population. From Louisiana State Penitentiary to San Quentin State Prison, learn about these significant correctional facilities and their unique characteristics. Introduction Prisons play a crucial role in the criminal justice system, serving as institutions for the

Skip to content